Scotland’s education system is world renowned and surpasses most countries of comparable size in Europe in terms of educational achievement.
South Ayrshire has excellent education provision and a very strong record in educational success for children and young people. In addition to success in national examinations and wider achievements, South Ayrshire Council has invested significantly in renewing our school estate.
In 2017/18 :
- £65 million was invested in new or totally refurbished schools.
- In the preschool years, 600 hours of high quality early learning and childcare is available free for children aged three to five years and eligible children aged two years. We are also rolling out 1,140 hours of free early learning and childcare between now and 2020.
- 517 young people achieved the Duke of Edinburgh’s awards at Bronze, Silver and Gold which continues to be the best in Scotland.
- Primary and secondary attainment is above national comparators in almost all measures. We also offer a very wide range of extra-curricular activities, including an outstanding instrumental music service and a range of bands, choirs and orchestras.
- 94% of young people move on to university, college or employment when they leave school.