Through the £80 million Aerospace and Space Programme from the Ayrshire Growth Deal, South Ayrshire is aiming to ESTABLISH PRESTWICK AS EUROPE’S LEADING SPACE HUB AND TAP INTO THE VALUABLE GLOBAL SPACE MARKET.
Already home to Scotland’s largest aerospace cluster, Prestwick has the ambition to access the global space market, worth £4 billion, while developing launch capability to serve small satellite manufacturers.
Prestwick will achieve this through a number of key projects:
- Prestwick Spaceport, with first launches planned from Spring 2024
- Aerospace and Space Technology Application Centre (ASTAC)
- New roads infrastructure to expand the site
- New commercial developments for both existing investors and new entrants to the Prestwick site
South Ayrshire Council is focused on building a space cluster at Prestwick with global reach. Here’s why Prestwick is the ideal location for this:
- Global, flexible, horizontal launch spaceport
- Home to 50% of Scotland’s aerospace jobs and skilled workforce.
- 100+ satellite, data and advanced manufacturing space companies based in central Scotland
- Glasgow manufactures 40% of all European satellites (1 hour travel time from Prestwick)
- Edinburgh is recognised as Europe’s data capital (1.5 hour travel time from Prestwick)
- Ready access to several world class universities
- Superb connections via air, road, sea and rail
All this capability and expertise is concentrated within a short 55km radius.
The Aerospace and Space Programme will have a hugely positive impact on local communities in South Ayrshire. Bringing a wide range of skilled jobs and a vibrant supply chain to the local area, the investments will not only offer significant economic benefits, but will create opportunities for young people to have exciting careers.
To find out more about our space programme, contact us